2020 General Municipal Election - November 3, 2020
|Tuesday, November 3, 2020|
|One (1) Mayor - Full term of two (2) years
Two (2) City Council Members - Full term of four (4) years
|Opens July 13, 2020 at 8:00 AM
Closes August 7, 2020 at 5:00 PM
Filing deadline will be extended to August 12, 2020 if nomination papers for an incumbent officer of the City are not filed by the August 7, 2020 filing deadline. This extension period is not applicable to incumbents.
The City Clerk's office is open by appointment only for candidates running for office in the November 3, 2020 election who need to obtain or return Nomination Papers. COVID-19 Safety Protocols must be followed during in-person appointments. For questions relating to the November 3, 2020 election or to schedule an appointment during the nomination period, email email@example.com or call the City Clerk's Office at (805) 772-6205.
COVID-19 Safety Protocols to protect candidates and staff
For the safety of both candidates and staff, we have instituted the following protocols for in-person meetings at the City Clerk's office:
- All visitors must wear a face covering over their nose, mouth, and chin
- Only two people may attend in-person appointments, including the candidate
- Everyone must maintain a 6 foot distance from others
- Tables, doorknobs, chairs and pens will be sanitized between appointments
|Candidates are asked to carefully review the Candidate Handbook prior to pulling nomination papers. Additional information and materials will be provided to candidates during the in-person meeting.|
Election Notices &
please see Campaign Statements. Link coming soon.
Interested in Running?
Individuals interested in running for office can download Running for Local Office - A Candidate's Short Guide to City Elections for basic information. This Guide is not intended to be a comprehensive document and does not include the forms required when running for office. If you are interested in declaring your intent to run as a candidate earlier than the nomination period and are considering raising or spending money for your campaign, you are subject to certain requirements. Please contact the City Clerk at (805) 772-6205 for more information.
To be eligible to vote at the November 3, 2020 election, you must be registered to vote no later than Monday, October 19, 2020. For more information regarding voter registration or to obtain a vote-by-mail ballot, visit the County Clerk Recorder's Office - Elections and Voting website.
- Fair Political Practices Commission: The Technical Assistance Division of the FPPC will provide advice related to campaign filing requirements and conflicts of interest. Email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- San Luis Obispo County Clerk-Recorder's Office: Find your polling place, voter status and more online.
- Smart Voter is an online resource that provides nonpartisan information on elections and voting.
- California Easy Voter Guide provides new voters and busy voters with nonpartisan information for statewide elections in California.
- Making the Leap to Public Service: What you Need to Know Before You Are Appointed or Elected.