Junior Lifeguards is a physical program. Participants are expected to participate in all aspects of the program, to the best of their ability, including but not limited to, physical training, swimming, and other activities as directed by Instructors. Your child's safety is of the utmost concern, therefore your child will not be asked to perform activities that he/she is not physically ready to perform. All Junior Lifeguard instructors and aides are USLA Certified Ocean Lifeguards.
Registration opens on March 30, 2020 at 8:30 am--online only. No payment will be taken on March 30. Once the plans for the summer are finalized, we will contact you for payment.
View Junior Guard Registration
Those families needing to apply for a scholarship through the Community Foundation of Estero Bay will also register online on March 30. Once the plans for the summer are finalize, we will contact you for payment.
2020 Program Schedule
- Pool Program: Session 1 - Cancelled
- Junior Waterman (ages 12+) - Cancelled
- Junior Guard Beach Session A- June 15-26 - Full/Closed
- Junior Guard Beach Session B--June 29-July 10 - Full/Closed
- Junior Guard Beach Session C--July 13-July 24 - Full/Closed
- Junior Guard Beach Session D--July 27-August 7 - Full/Closed
- Call 805-772-6278 for more information.
Program TestingAll participants must pass a swim test prior to participation. The Beach Program test includes 100-yard non-stop swim under 3 minutes, treading water for 5 minutes, and a 30-feet underwater swim. The Pool Program Test is a 75-yard non-stop swim with no time limit. Returning participants must meet the swim time standard and MUST attend the assessment.
Swim Assessments will be at the MBHS Aquatic Center and the date will be determined.
- MBJG shirts will be issued on 1st day and must be worn everyday.
- Swimsuits: Participants must wear uniform trunks and black one-piece swimsuits. Girls, fitness bikinis okay but no other bikinis allowed. Sweats may also be worn.
- Wetsuits: Strongly recommended, but not required.
- Booties: Participants without wetsuit may not be able to safely participate in all program activities.
Additional Daily Items
Participants need to bring a towel, warm clothing, foot protection, sunscreen, hat, lunch, and a snack. Surfboards are optional and must have safety fins and leashes. Participants need to supply their own transportation to and from activities and field trips. Staff can not transport participants. Parents are welcome to attend daily activities and are encouraged to accompany the program on field trips.
This program is required for all Junior Lifeguards that wish to tryout for a volunteer position. This program is for the older junior lifeguard (12+) and is an advanced program with additional challenges to help prepare them for volunteering and additionally to prepare to be staff in the future. Application for the volunteer program can be found on League Line Up JG Welcome Page.
This program is recommended for all first time Junior Lifeguards. This is an introductory program that will help build awareness of an ocean environment while building confidence and endurance needed for the Beach Program. The Pool Program is tailored for the youth that has completed swim lessons and wants to develop more advanced swimming skills and preparatory ocean skills. This program will take place at the MBHS Aquatic Center. We strongly recommend participating in the Pool Program prior to participating in the Beach Program for the first time.
More Program & Parent Information
For the additional information please visit our Morro Bay Sports website. The parent handbook is available on the handouts page.