Junior Lifeguards is a physical program. Participants are expected to participate in all aspects of the program, to the best of their ability, including but not limited to, physical training, swimming, and other activities as directed by Instructors. Your child's safety is of the utmost concern, therefore your child will not be asked to perform activities that he/she is not physically ready to perform. All Junior Lifeguard instructors and aides are USLA Certified Ocean Lifeguards.
Registration will begin March 25, 2019 at 8:30 am.
2019 Program Schedule
- Pool Program: Session 1 TBD
- Pool Program: Session 2 TBD
- Waterman (ages 12+) June 10 - June 21
- Junior Guard Beach Session 1 June 24 - July 12
- Junior Guard Beach Session 2 July 22 - August 9
Program TestingAll participants must pass a swim test prior to participation. The Beach Program test includes 100-yard non-stop swim under 3 minutes, treading water for 5 minutes, and a 30-feet underwater swim. The Pool Program Test is a 75-yard non-stop swim with no time limit. Returning participants must meet the swim time standard and MUST attend the assessment OR fill-out a "Try-Out Waiver."
Swim Assessments will be at the MBHS Aquatic Center and the date will be TBD.
- MBJG shirts will be issued on 1st day and must be worn everyday.
- Swimsuits: Participants must wear uniform trunks and black one-piece swimsuits. Girls, fitness bikinis okay but no other bikinis allowed. Sweats may also be worn.
- Wetsuits: Strongly recommended, but not required.
- Booties: Participants without wetsuit may not be able to safely participate in all program activities.
Additional Daily Items
Participants need to bring a towel, warm clothing, foot protection, swim fins, sunscreen, hat, lunch, and a snack. Surfboards are optional and must have safety fins and leashes. Participants need to supply their own transportation to and from activities and field trips. Staff can not transport participants. Parents are welcome to attend daily activities and are encouraged to accompany the program on field trips.
This program is recommended for all first time Junior Lifeguards. This is an introductory program that will help build awareness of an ocean environment while building confidence and endurance needed for the Beach Program. The Pool Program is tailored for the youth that has completed swim lessons and wants to develop more advanced swimming skills and preparatory ocean skills. This program will take place at the MBHS Aquatic Center. We strongly recommend participating in the Pool Program prior to participating in the Beach Program for the first time.
More Program & Parent Information
For the additional information please visit our Morro Bay Sports website. The parent handbook is available on the handouts page.